Wednesday, February 26, 2014

T Minus Two and More Blog Love



The OSR love keeps pouring in for the March Madness Non-D&D Challenge. The ever sunny Alexis from Tao of D&D has showered the endeavour and yours truly with encouragement:

(From his comment on Talyman’s blog) “These things are for people who can't think of anything to blog. Moreover, I'm not interested in helping "noobs" get their blogs started. If they have something to say, then they'll be fine. If they need a crutch, or anyone's help, they should stop blogging immediately and attend to their hygeine instead.

We need less 'training wheels' and more 'toss them into the pond and watch them drown.'

But then, that wouldn't let Tedankhamen and many others feel good about themselves for pointing and then gleaning off the self-important righteousness of 'finding new talent.' ”

Beautiful! I do hope he is right and we get lots of new voices and hear about new games, and I am pretty satisfied with the response to date.

In case anyone is wondering about my feelings, these types of comments don’t bother me at all. In fact, they remind me of my uni gamer days when dissenting opinions and barbed comments darkened the skies. I never took talk about a game seriously back then, and I don’t now. People who want to play with me will, and people who poo poo us won’t.

But there is some real good feedback - someone has already completed the whole thing! The blog Timinits and Trolls gave some great responses, passed on questions he didn’t care for, and gave us a peek into some obscure French RPGs. Go give it a read and be inspired!

8 comments:

  1. I think this is partly picayune criticism(from Alexis).
    Among your questions, several can shed light on important and neglected aspects of OSR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I just found the comments hilarious and all the more reason to go full steam ahead.

      Delete
  2. I am forever stunned by the willing, unabashedly up-front manner in which people proudly declare themselves utterly above any expectation of change, enlightenment or the conception of another point of view. Pride. A marvelous self-justifier, for all persons wishing to find hilarity in an opinion that does not perfectly reflect their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking to yourself again Alexis? You do know the rest of us can hear you...

      Delete
    2. That demonstrates that you really, truly, do not read my blog. If you read my blog, and what it says there, instead of simply condemning my 'sunny' attitude, you would never actually make that reply. You only make it because it is a stand-in for being uninformed.

      Delete
    3. I didn't intend any condemnation in my remarks, but if you want to read them that way so be it. Admittedly, I haven't read your blog in a year since real life has heated up, and my response was half flattered you had noticed my blog and half joking at your condemnation of my blog challenge. As you may notice, I don't take myself that seriously.

      Anyway, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and expect you'll do the same. For your information, I respect your blog, I respect the hell out of the fact that you published your book, and I respect your opinions regardless whether they match mine or not.

      Vive la difference.

      Delete
  3. You should take yourself seriously. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexis,

      I appreciate the encouragement. However, I have a seriously ill wife, a beautiful baby boy, and a PhD thesis in its final chapters, not to mention the day job at a new uni come April. All of this I take seriously, so gaming (which I do too little of) and blogging (which I do too much of) are things I definitely do not want to take seriously at this stage.

      Once again, thanks.

      Delete